​Applying for a License Kentucky

In Kentucky, in order to operate a vehicle on highways and roads, you have to hold a valid driver’s license. The application process is not that hard, however, it requires much attention to detail.
Let’s check out what will you need to submit your application.

Learner’s Permit

Motorists who are under 16, should firstly apply for a learner’s permit. The required documents are
  • Social Security Card
  • Birth Certificate
  • Residency Proof*
The residency proof can be a utility bill, mortgage records, etc.
Applicants under the age of 18 must present a document signed by their parent or legal guardian stating that they accept financial responsibility. All applicants have to include a School Compliance Verification Form from their school.
You have to keep your privilege for a minimum of 180 days. Take into account that the state requires privilege holders only to operate if they are accompanied by a licensed motorist who is at least 21 years old.

Intermediate License

After you have got and held your certificate for six months, you are eligible for the Intermediate one. However, besides just submitting the request form, you have to pass a driving skills test. On the test day,
  • you should operate your own vehicle (that is registered and titled).
  • you have to provide liability proof and an insurance certificate.
Besides, the training course is also obligatory. Any applicant has to submit 60 hours of driving practice (10 hrs night drive).
After passing the road test, a Kentucky State Police examiner will attach a sticker to your DL. After 6 months of holding the intermediate privilege or reaching the age of 18, your next step will be the full privilege.
It is important to note that when not fully licensed, the motorist is not permitted to operate a car between the hours of 12:00 A.M. and 6:00 A.M. unless the motorist can provide a valid reason for driving, such as an emergency, school- or work-related activities.

Full Unrestricted License

If the appropriate education course and test are completed, you will be eligible for a full privilege. The following requirements must still be met:
  • You have to hold the intermediate permission for six months.
  • After, you have to provide the training course certificate and exam results.
  • Finally, fill in the request form and make the necessary payments.
The local DMV office will notify you whenever your DL is ready.

Required Documents

Whenever submitting the application, have the following documents ready:
  • The full legal name
  • Date of birth
  • Social Security number
  • Proof of residency
  • Birth Certificate
  • Social Security Card
Foster children have to present the Cabinet for Health and Family Services Custody Verification Letter to any Local Office or Court Clerk's Office.

Out-of-state permits

Those who already have a DLin in another state may transfer it to Kentucky. To do so, he or she must be at least 16 years old and accompanied by a licensed adult over the age of 21.
For all the out-of-state privilege holders, the DMV processes the applications. In all cases, you should verify the KY address and provide your current DL.


All the DLs are subject to renewal by the due date specified in their records. In KY, you may proceed with the renewal online, by mail, or by visiting any regional office.
A Kentucky operator's privilege is typically valid for four years or eight years. The expiration date is different for each phase:
  • Learner: It is valid for a month after the date of birth.
  • Intermediate: It is valid for 3 months following the 21st birthday.
  • Drivers over the age of 21 may renew their permission up to six months before it expires.
The DMV doesn’t require any testing for renewal.

Name and Address Change

Whenever you modify your name, you have to obtain a duplicate one within 10 days. Just visit the nearest office and take the following records with you:
  • Proof of a name change (Name Change Court Order or Marriage Certificate)
  • SSC
  • Payment cheques of $12 or $15 depending on where you apply.
Actually, the same goes for an address update. You have to notify the DMV within 10 days after the modification and provide the new address along with fees and identity documents.


When you lose your Driver's License, permit, or identification card, you have to obtain a new credential via mail, or in person at any local office. You should fill in a TC 94-192 application form, make the necessary payments and submit the ID (if applicable).
  • The mailing address is
  • Transportation Cabinet,
  • 200 Mero St., Frankfort, KY 40622.