Updates and Corrections Kentucky

In some cases, you have to update the data on your driver’s license or any other DMV-related documents. So, you have to make a correction at the nearest office by submitting an application and the document package. Let’s check each of the cases separately.

Name or Address Change

If you have made any changes connected to your name or address, you have to visit the nearest DMV office and provide the following documents:
  • a photo ID
  • residency proof
  • a court order or any related document showing the changes
A photo I.D. or a piece of physical mail (with a current postmark) must be given to the County Clerk of the owner's county of residence, together with the title, to make corrections for an address. ​


Actually, the seller is the only person who may disclose the mileage and update the title. However, if the title has already been printed the buyer has to complete an Affidavit of Mileage Correction​ (T.C. 96-322) along with the seller. Later, he/she has to submit it to the Local Clerk’s
  • Photo ID
  • Vehicle title
  • Filled in and signed the application form
Note: There may be some applicable charges.

VIN and HIN Corrections

If you ever face any issue that affects a VIN/HIN correction you have to visit the County Clerk and check the modifications requirements there. You have to submit the following:
  • Application for Kentucky Certificate of Title or Registration that is TC96-182 or TC96-184
  • Proof of Identity
  • Applicable fee cheques
  • In some cases, proof of residency

Update and Removal

Both parties must sign the back of the existing title to remove a co-owner from a title that does not have a lienholder.
A Power of Attorney form signed (and notarized) by the absent party will suffice if one of the parties is unable to meet. The Local Clerk is in charge of the transfer.

Brand Changes

You must update your brand if there is a:
  • the harm caused by hail
  • water damage
  • salvage
You must present evidence of identity and seek updated data from the local DMV office to finish the application. If you have any questions, feel free to contact them for assistance.

Other cases

You must submit a photo I.D. and title to the County Clerk in the owner's county of residence to amend a make/model/color/year/etc.